Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Jobs in data science or data analytics

I kept putting off writing this blog post hoping to get some more info or that something would happen, but neither did. The job market seems bleak.

I've been checking the local (Estonian) job offers in for a few months now, looking for signs of data science/analytics jobs. There are some, but the wording is weird and it shows that the companies are hiring their first "data people".

Out of interest I went and applied to a few of these positions. One company actually knew a little something about modeling and they were looking for someone to work on classification. Others were completely random. Most didn't reply and the few that did expressed that they didn't really know what they were looking for. Reminded me a lot of the "if carpenters were hired like programmers" joke.

Anyways, so that's the current status of data science jobs in Estonia. Which suits me fine since I'm just an enthusiast.

The Machine Learning by Andrew Ng started yesterday on Coursera. It's supposedly very good, but I haven't had the time to check it out yet. I'm still finishing up the Practical Machine Learning by Jeff Leek and it's pretty good. The materials are understandable and quizzes are mostly clear with multiple choice answers so there's no problems with number formats and stuff.

There was a first Meetup for a group called Startup Founders 101, run by Development Fund (Arengufond). For the first occasion the topic was "From Employee to Entrepreneur". It got me thinking that I could probably start doing some consulting in data science in a few months. Real practice with real problems! Still an idea tho.. we'll see what happens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment